A Giant Step was very intriguing. This memoir will make you thankful for such wonderful technology and brilliant scientists that we have now compared to 1975. It’s a shame that the doctor was so racist that he didn’t want to help. I respect his mom for not letting this doctor discourage her in seeking out the proper medical attention that her son needed. I guess Mr. Gates knew too much to be an African American. I couldn’t believe he had to endure the pain in his knees and hips for so long, so I can see why he had a love hate relationship with those orthopedic shoes. I think I wouldn’t have thrown them away since the orthotics has been with him for so long. I would have had them bronzed and sitting on the mantel as a reminder that life gets better. Those shoes wore him down yet helped him throughout the 26 years. I guess they had their benefits to them. I know he was able to park in the handicapped zone and hopefully got a disability check. I can see how the shoes were not such a benefit because he was young and interested in sports. Once Mr. Gates was finally able to have the surgery he was a nervous wreck. The feeling was like the night before the first day of school. I know he felt great about buying those shoes that he has always dreamed about. I can bet you he purchased at least three pair.
This memoir also talks about how different one person is from the other. For example the bully who was finally nice to him, his mom for staying strong and determined and the doctor who was racist. This world is filled with many different people that make the world go round.
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read your blog with interest. Good start.
ReplyDelete