Friday, January 29, 2010

The LIbrary Database Blog #2

The Library Database
In our English 111 class we had two days to explore the library’s database to find a list of controversial problems. This was very useful because I didn’t know about any of these web sites. Learning these new resources made me find a more interesting topic that the one I had already chosen. I now have a broader topic to discuss instead of the plain old legalization of Marijuana. The most useful resource was believe it or not my school library’s web. I couldn’t believe that this one website would open doors to many more websites. For many people are doing their paper on medical issues, my school library website also has a section for journals or articles. The CQ Researcher is the resource that changed my research paper. That website was very easy and it also allowed you to narrow your search especially if you were talking about a very wide topic. With WorldCat you had to know exactly all of the information about the book you needed. CINAHL was a good website because it allowed you to search a topic with more than one key work ex) Children and Race and Adoption. Now if you were to just say children, race and adoption all of those words might not have been in the topic you really wanted to talk about. Also CINAHL allowed you to filter out the Publication Date. This was a great thing because you don’t want to talk about a controversial topic that happened in 1978, you want to talk about a more recent topic. I am glad I was able to take some time out to learn what my college has to offer. This will help out with more papers to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment